The Bride

 Title: The Bride


It was a beautiful afternoon, I strolled down the street happily heading home after work. 


Just a few minutes ago I got off the phone with my boyfriend, and we had a good talk with him making me laugh as always 😄


As I got closer to my compound I could hear the voice of my mother and father. They sounded like they were In a celebratory mood


I hastened my steps into the compound and finally got a clear view of what was happening in the compound 


“Heii the Lord don bless our family… the Lord is good indeed, my enemies will surely be put to shame” my mom was praising the lord with a wide smile on her face


“Indeed my wife” my father embraced my mother which was surprising, I have never seen him embrace like he did just now


What could be so good to make them this happy, I was being eaten up by curiosity 


“Good afternoon mama papa” I greeted when I got to them


“Ahh there she is, my queen, her father’s daughter nne how are you?” My father was the first to respond


“I’m fine, what happened why do you look so happy?” I couldn’t help but ask


“My daughter welcome, come inside first come and rest we’ll tell you the good news after you eat” my mother grabbed my hands and began pulling me into the house


“Be careful with her oo, don’t let anything happen to her… I’m going to see my kinsmen” my father said as he turned to leave the compound


“Okay” my mom responded 


“Mama what’s really happening, what made you guys so happy?” I asked again


“My daughter the lord has blessed our family through you” my mother said 


“Me? What did I do?” I was confused, how did I make the Lord bless our family


“Don’t worry I’ll tell you everything, come inside” 


The moment we stepped into the house I could help but notice the crates of drinks, provisions and brand new electronics on the floor


“Mama what is all this things, when did you and papa buy these things?” 


“Freshen up and eat before I’ll tell you the good news” my mothers face was filled with excitement


I finally did as she wanted, i showered afterwards my mother served me my food 


Even more strange there was more than one piece of meat in the plate of soup


I beginning to grow suspicious about all this strange actions. Papa came back before I was done with the food


When I was done they sat me down and began explaining 


“My daughter i am glad God chose me to be your father” my father began


”my daughter just this morning after you left for work, some car drove into our compound….


Exotic cars oo, cars that I have not seen before, then some men came down and introduced themselves……


The leader said they came in peace and they wanted to talk with me, I was shocked how did this big big men know me…


Anyway we invited them into this our house and then they told us their reason for visiting… one of the men introduced himself as Mr Emmanuel….


He said you my daughter have caught his eyes and have been giving him sleepless nights, he said he fell in love with your beauty and wants to take you home with him as his wife….


He brought this gifts for you and us to show his sincerity… he is really nice oo and he loves you.. if you see him he is very good looking and he is rich too….


You will like him.. so after considering him and questioning him to find out how sincere he was I accepted his request.. he will come tomorrow to collect the list for your bride price” My father finished  


“Wait papa what are you saying?” I inquired not fully understanding 


“We have accepted a suitor for you, you’ll be getting married soon” my mother dropped the bomb shell


“What suitor, papa I already have a boyfriend why will you make such a big decision about my life without me consent… are you pulling my legs or what?” 


To say I was shocked was an understatement 


“My daughter forget that poor boyfriend of yours, Mr Emmanuel is rich and he will take care of you well” my father said


“Papa no oo, don’t insult my boyfriend, I don’t even know the Mr Emmanuel and you accepted marriage proposal “ I yelled


“Hey it doesn’t matter whether or not you know him, we are your parents and we know what is best for you, you will marry Mr Emmanuel…. Woman talk to your daughter put some sense into her head” papa said before storming out of the room


“Mama are you seriously supporting this, how could you do this me?” 


“Janet this is for your own good, we want the best for you.. Mr Emmanuel is a good man…”


I cut her off “and so what, I don’t know him neither do I love him.. it’s Richie my boyfriend I know and love” 


“Janet has that your boyfriend ever bought you or me any gift ever since you started dating him eh?…No he’s too poor.. but look at Mr Emmanuel he’s rich and look at the beautiful materials he bought for you….


See all this fine fine things he bought for you, see he even bought lace for me, expensive lace I’ve show mama Ebuka you for see how jealousy full her eyes…


My daughter, when you marry Mr Emmanuel your life will improve..you will live in big house, eat good food, wear nice clothes and people will respect you…


What can that Richie do for you, you will only suffer, he won’t be able to take care of this your beauty “ my mother ranted on


“Mama I don’t care about riches or wealth, if I want to get married then it is for love… marriage is for better for worse… I love Richie and he love me too”


“When you get to know Mr Emmanuel you will love him too as a husband, forget that Richie” 


“Mama you better return all these gift because at not marrying anyone other than Richie” I said then left for my room 


This is ridiculous..


How could they do this?


This wasn’t the olden days where parents made the choice of who their children will marry


There’s no way I’ll leave my Richie


Despite my refusal papa still gave the list to Mr Emmanuel the next day he came, I met up with Mr Emmanuel and told him I already had a boyfriend and wasn’t interested in anyone else


In reply he said that papa should return all the gifts and money he had given him the previous day but papa refused and instead slapped me in front of everyone for trying to ruin the marriage 


Papa locked me in my room afterwards while he and his kinsmen continued marriage process 


I cried to be let out, I cried to be freed, I cried to have the right to make my own life decisions but wasn’t allowed


Mr Emmanuel bought everything on the list and payed my bride price, traditionally I became his wife


All the wedding preparations was made while I was locked behind doors, the attires, food, venue, guests was made without my consent


I didn’t agree to anything, the choice was all made my mother and father


Few days before the traditional wedding was ti be held, I found an opportunity to escape.


I escaped from the house and ran to Richie house


The moment I saw him i pounced into his arms and burst into tears


“Janet what are you doing here.. aren’t you supposed to be getting married?” Richie pushed me away 


“Richie how did you know that?” I asked


“Your father came here and told me you were getting married to a rich man and I shouldn’t step anywhere near his compound … “ Richie said


“That’s not true, my father is trying to marry me off to a rich man..I don’t want to get married to the man… I love you .. only you….


My father locked me up that’s why I haven’t been able to come see you.. I just escaped now.. believe me I’m being forced into this” I explained tearfully


“Is what you’re saying true “


“Yes yes it’s true believe me”


“But the man is rich I’m not.. are you sure you want to be with me” Richie asked


“Richie you’re the only one I love I don’t care about riches I want to be with you”


“I love you too.. the gods know how tortuous this days have been without you…


Let’s elope, let’s escape from your father.. we can be together in a far away place what do you say?” Richie held my hands as he asked me that


I could see the love and anticipation in his eyes


“Yes Richie let’s elope” I said between tears


“Thank you, thank you for choosing me I won’t let you regret it… we’ll leave the village at midnight.. let me go pack up a few things “


That day Richie packed up as little as possible, grabbed some money and at midnight we began making our out of the village


Oh, how I wish we got out of the village faster, then maybe my father wouldn’t have caught up with us


How I wish things turned out different, how I wish we both escaped successfully without getting caught


Then maybe Richie would have been framed for kidnapping and robbery by my father, maybe Richie my love wouldn’t have been unjustly hung to death by the village council 


Maybe Richie and I could have been able to live and love each other, maybe if we had successfully escaped then I wouldn’t be about to jump off this bridge


Maybe I wouldn’t have drank rat poison and jump off this bridge


Just maybe if I had gotten my way, Richie will be alive and so would I 


But things ended differently, now as the water carried me away, I pray it takes away my sorrows and pain


And if people ask why I committed sucide , tell them my parents made me do it, tell them my parents killed me the day they killed my love


Tell them my parents made me do it


#fiction#

✍🏾Goody✍🏾

Comments